17 February 2009

Sounds outside my door...

At any given time there are many sounds outside my door (or window). As I write this I hear the call to prayer along with a wedding band with each member playing their own tune. The veggie man is calling out "subzi" in hopes that you need some last minute veggies for dinner. Then there's the honking of horns. The small "beep, beep" of autos, the loud deafening car horns, and the ringing of the bells from cyclist trying not to get ran over and the rumbling of kamikaze buses mixed with squeals of taxi breaks. I can hear the freeway in the distance and the exhaust pipes releasing the fragrant incense that will make every sunset and sunrise glimmer in a foggy haze. There's the random chorus of dogs barking and children playing. I can ease drop into my neighbors' conversation (as they probably can and do ease drop into my conversations) and whoever is passing through the street behind my house. Then of course there's those random fireworks. There's the occasional ambulance siren. My favorite sounds are in the morning. I can hear birds (which I haven't found any reason yet to not like). It's not like the invasion of the birds where I used to live. Then sometimes I think I hear monkeys. There's the wonderful soundtrack of a Bollywood movie blaring from someone's car. It truly is a symphony to experience.