Today was wonderful. I woke up early to chat with my family on skype. My oldest niece had a Valentine to show me which she will be sending me. My grandmother and uncle were also there. I got to wish my uncle a Happy Birthday since his birthday is Tuesday.
While I was talking to them a good friend called and I arranged to call her back. After I talked to the entire clan I called my friend. It was good to see a friend. This particular friend I haven’t seen in years. We have managed to stay close over email and phone calls. She is one of those rare gifts in my life. I was thrilled to talk to her. I did miss getting to “meet” her little one. We’re arranging another time so I can meet him.
After that I went back to bed. This past week wiped me out. Language learning is so draining. When I’m in class my entire thoughts shift into German and Spanish. I spoke to my house help in German on Friday. Didn’t do much good. I’m improving a little bit every day.
I woke up about one in the afternoon and got ready for a Valentine’s picnic. My roomie surprised me with a small box of heart shaped cookies with red and pink icing. She spoils me. The picnic was so much fun. It was just a bunch of my roommate’s friends. I got to meet a lot of new people. We played silly games and had tons of junk food and tea. The weather was perfect and the garden was lovely.
Now we are back home and my roommate is cooking dinner. This is always a treat because my meals still lack much to be desired. We’ve had a quiet evening at home.
This has nothing to do with Valentine’s Day but it doesn’t need its own entry. I bought my first piece of furniture. It’s a nice cane bookshelf. It helps give me much needed space in my room. We found it in a market last night. It was a new market for me. I had fun exploring and found an alphabet chart and some children’s readers. Today in another market I found readers with both Hindi and English. So exciting!