My teacher wrote a poem and translated for us. I wanted to share it with you.
Hindi, I salute you.
Hindi, I salute you.
I love you so much
That I crossed the seven seas
Whatever the cost
As soon as possible
Become my tongue
Can I get an Amen? There’s something refining about learning a language. You are put through the fire and come out with a second soul. I just keep holding on to that thought.
Many times when we ask questions in class the teacher answers, “We will learn that in lesson x.” It’s so odd being back in a rote memory class style (especially while making the transition from being a teacher to a student).
It’s also been helpful to learn expectations. I have now learned that before we come to class we should have read the next chapter, learned the vocab and grammar, and be prepared to use the grammar and vocab. Yeah, I might as well be teaching myself…oh, wait…I basically am.
Language reveals a lot about a culture. Here are some discoveries about Hindi that are helping me understand the culture.
First, there aren’t any patterns to their numbers. In English we have 1-10 then some odd numbers like 11 & 12 but then start a pattern of ----teen. Then we name the 10s and add to it like twenty, twenty-one and so on. Then we repeat this pattern and put 100 or 1000 or whatever in front of it. Yeah, in Hindi every number is special enough to have its own unique name…no patterns. (Except Ordinals) Now I know why they round and have flat rates. When the number isn’t commonly used they say it in English. I’m sure there’s more to it that I’ll discover later.
A very important discovery was the use of very specific names for family members. There is a specific word for each person in the family. (Who you are and how you relate determines a lot around here) There’s a word for mom and dad. Then there are different names for sister depending on if they are younger or older. Same for brother. Grandmother/Grandfather is different depending on if it’s your mom’s mom/dad or your dad’s mom/dad. Even uncle and aunt. This is mind blowing. There’s a name to call your uncle who is the older brother of your dad. There’s another name to call your uncle who is the younger brother of your dad. They change for your mom’s side of the family. Aunt works the same way. There are at least 4 words for uncle and 4 words for aunt. Let’s not get into in-laws.
My teacher was helping me learn just the words that apply to my family. I was so thankful for having a very simple small family. I laughed (this is for you Ryan) when we started talking about brother-in-law. I said it was my older sister’s husband. She insisted that I added the honor ending “ji” (which I don’t have any problem showing my brother-in-law respect). Then the teacher found out he’s the same age as me and decided I didn’t have to. My brother-in-law has a month on me so I don’t mind (Ryanji).
I’ve found irony in this one word that I can never pronounce correctly. I always blank when I read it as well. The word is teacher. Yes, I can identify or say my own profession.
I did say something in class Wednesday that none of the other students knew. Why wouldn’t I know how to say Mujhe gulab jamun basant hai----I like gulab jamun (it’s a sweet here). I have to remember moments like that when I leave class feeling like a blundering idiot.