17 January 2010

Not Everything Tastes Like Chicken...

I've went and bought meat to cook at my place for the first time since I moved here at the end of August. I have very orthodox Hindu landlords which means they only eat veg but they graciously allow me to cook only chicken and mutton in my apartment. They have the right to ask me not to have meat in my apartment at all since they own the property. My house help is Muslim. She is only suppose to come in contact with only Halal meat which means it is butchered according to Islamic law. Since my house helps washes my dishes and sometimes eats from kitchen then I must only make and consume Halal meat in my Kitchen. I took my house help to the market so she could help me find a good Halal butcher. We found one.

I bought 1 kg of mutton keema (which is grounded up goat meat), 1 kg of chicken keema, 1 kg of chicken boneless chicken breasts which half I had them keep whole and the other I had them cut into cubes. I took it all home and separated it into portion sizes and froze it.

The first thing I made was what my family calls goulash. I prepared some mutton keema and seasoned it with (Taco Bell) taco seasoning. Then I added it to basically macaroni and cheese which I was able to make with Velveeta (a wonderful treat in my Christmas package). It was okay. Mutton definitely doesn't taste like chicken. It also doesn't taste like beef. It tasted better the next day when I added some salt and peeper.

I've used the chicken keema before for making tacos. It tastes great. I never thought I'd miss beef so much. There is something about the texture and taste that is different. Sometimes here we get water buffalo (which is referred to as beef and it is a type) and it's good but still not quite the same. It doesn't taste like chicken but it also doesn't taste like Texas beef.