17 January 2010

An Average Day

As I approach my one year anniversary of being here I'm reminded that most of you can't even begin to imagine what my everyday life is like. That has to do partly with me not being good at sharing what the simple things I take for granted as "normal."

My resolution this year is to try to bring in words and pictures my everyday life. Simple things like... I'm sitting in my bed under my blankets with my heater on (small halogen heater) and wearing about 3 layers of clothing and mittens as I type this. I'm dreading having to hang my wash out to dry in a moment because it will be so cold. It's not that it's below freezing or anything. It's probably in the high 40's low 50's. The houses here are made not to hold heat because most of the year it's hot. There's these two months that are cold and it's very difficult to stay warm. Most houses have marble floors which are freezing. The inside of the house is usually colder than outside. If it wasn't for my little heater, then I would see my breath in my room as I lay in bed under the covers at night. Though it isn't below freezing outside, it is probably below freezing in my house.

The fun part is taking a shower. I usually set my alarm for about 30-20 minutes early. Then I wake up and turn the hot water heater on and put my halogen heater into my marble bathroom to let it warm up. I put the heater at the door as I take my shower. I've never gotten dried off and dressed so fast in my life. I only have one pair of long johns. I've worn them 24-7 for about the last month. I'm braving the cold to wash them today. I will be able to wear them tomorrow.

The worst is riding in the early mornings to school on Tuesday and Friday. I wear thick socks are 2-3 pair of thinner socks, long johns (top and bottom), jeans, undershirt/turtle neck (yes, over the thermal under top or over the normal shirt), normal shirt, sweat shirt, a scarf around my neck, my warm Columbia jacket, another thick shawl around my head to protect my ears and face. I make sure to wear my mittens. I put on lots of chapstick. I carry lotion to apply after I arrive somewhere. The winters are so dry here. Then I ride in an auto. I am usually comfortable though my legs are numb when I arrive and my nose is frozen.

Here's a picture of what my normal transportation looks like...


It gets a bit windy and chilly riding around during the winter.

I hope to take pictures of my market soon. I even hope to take a video of an auto ride so you can see how "fun" it can be. I will also take pictures of where I work and where I study. Thank you for being patient.