21 March 2009

Your mission if you choose to accept it....

Your mission if you choose to accept it is to create recipes for me to try. I will announce a winning recipe and there will be a prize!

Here are the guidelines:

Ingredients need to be found here locally. Below are common everyday items I can find in the market:

Veggies and other Staples:
Green Beans, Broccoli, Zucchini, Baby Sweet Corn, Corn on the Cob, Carrots, Lettuce, Tomato, Eggplant, Mushrooms, Bell Pepper, Onion, Sweet Potato, Regular Potato, Rice, Eggs, Milk, Cucumber, Okra, Pumpkin (small), lime, lemon, butter, cheese, basic pasta (spaghetti, bow tie, penne).


Fruits:
Bananas, Coconuts, Mango, Papaya, Strawberries, Oranges, Apples, Pineapple, Pomegranate, Lychee, Pears

Below are everyday spices that are cheap and easy to find:
Ginger, Garlic, Curry Leaves, Curry Powder, Mustard Seed, Salt, Pepper, Cumin, Coriander, Cardamom, Bay Leaf, Caraway, Sage, Saffron, Basil, Clove, Sesame, Tamarind, Turmeric, Thyme, Mint, Chili peppers, Masala

A few reminders…
I don’t have an oven (or a Crockpot) I’m talking basic stove top cooking.
Serving size 2 (or 4 and we can have leftovers)
I do have a microwave.
If you include meat it’s got to be chicken or mutton.
Remember that everything is raw and nothing is processed (for example, if I use coconut it's a whole coconut that I must break, drain, remove the flesh, and then grate---it’s not sweetened).
I’m looking for simple and easy recipes.
I’m not looking for Indian recipes but a taste of home.

Allergies: soy

I’m also looking for recipes for homemade salsa, dips (like creamy j), BBQ sauce, sour cream, maple syrup, icing, whip cream, anything from scratch that doesn’t use pre-packaged stuff or mixes. Non-bake dessert ideas would be helpful as well.

I will be accepting recipes through May 1st. I will announce the winner on Memorial Day. I have to have time to try out the recipes!

Please email recipes to bluebonnets4jasmine@gmail.com

Have fun!