02 February 2009

For those who know me well...

I have to tell this story for those who know me really well. This will make you laugh. It made me laugh.

My roommate wanted to show me one of her favorite cafes. When we entered the cafe we were overcome by a smell which we thought was from cleaning supplies. It's common to be overwhelmed by smells here but you usually get use to then after time). We went ahead and sat down and ordered. As we sat there the fumes became stronger and we started to feel funny. Then it hit me. . . I was going to throw up. I couldn't figure out where to go so I ran for the door and that's where it happened. Then I continued out the door and threw up on the side walk. Then I noticed I had an audience of business men on the first floor (2nd floor in the US) watching me. Did I mention this cafe was located in a 5 star hotel?!? I don't think I've ever thrown up on marble before.

My roommate took care of the bill (which they didn't make me pay for my meal) and came out. She said that the fumes were actually from the construction site nearby. She had other adverse reactions to the fumes like a strange taste in her mouth, burning eyes, and later it came out her other end.

After this incident she did say that she has never had anyone have so many weird things happen to them especially in their first week. Some of the things that have happened to me have never happened to her in her 9 years here. Yeah, it's always exciting to be me!

The other funny incident that happened today was in the bathroom. You have to understand my history with bathroom follies and how wet bathrooms can be here. The wash machine is in my bathroom. When the wash machine drains it goes out a pipe and onto my bathroom floor and then into a common bathroom drain. They don't always have direct links from devices to the drain (thankfully my sink and toilet do). Another example would be the kitchen sink. Water runs out the drain in the sink onto the floor which has another drain. That's just how it works here. Anyway, the drain in the bathroom is right in front of the toilet. I was trying to go to the bathroom before the wash machine drained...didn't make it. My shoes got wet along with the bottom of my pants. They dried in no time. It was a funny little incident that can only happen here.