I have been trying my best to intentional say good-bye well to people and places over the last few months. To be honest it started in June when I left the school I have taught at for the past three years. I had to leave my community and my friends of the last six years. I’ve been so thankful that it wasn’t a sudden severing but a gradual adjustment. I’ve been able to go back and gradually and purposefully say good-bye.
My last visit to the place I call home was the first part of December. I had an amazing send off. I wanted to share some of them with you. I spent the week having coffee, lunch, dinner, and whatever other kind of gathering one can have with various people. My first night in town I had dinner with a couple that has become sort of parent figures for me. They themselves have spent time living overseas working and have been an endless source of wisdom. The place we ate was meaningful because it was a favorite spot for some friends of mine to go.
The next afternoon I got to catch up with my former teaching partner. I simply was able to lounge in her living room and play with her six month old son and chat it up. I miss working with her and seeing her every day. Love you Megan!
I had dinner with an old roommate at a local restaurant. I had lunch with a former co-worker at my favorite Thai restaurant. I went and visited my school one last time. I also went to visit another school where some friends of mine teach and saw some old students (see Everyday Miracles for more details). I also had coffee with a former professor who as always imparted some wisdom for me.
The difficult thing is you can’t have individual meetings with everyone you know. I sent an email out to everyone I had in my address book (who lived in the area) that I would be at Starbucks from 4 to 9 on Friday night. It was a great idea. I got to see so many people that way.
Saturday morning I had a precious breakfast at some friends’ house. They have the most fun-loving two red-heads in the world. They made me a special gift, a paper chain that was as tall as their ceiling.
When saying goodbye to people you must also say goodbye to places. I have one that I wanted to interject here. Before teaching elementary school I taught adult education (GED & ESL). One of the locations I taught at was a Hispanic Catholic Church. I feel in love with this place. The fathers and sisters were extraordinary people. All of them but one come from somewhere outside the US. I loved being around them. The church is over 100 years old. It’s breath-taking. I love to just sit in there. It makes me feel at peace. I went and sat one last time in its pews and just took it all in.
Sunday night I had a sending off party thrown by some of my closest friends. It was a sweet time of remembering and looking to the future. It was a good closure to my time there.
One thing that made the entire visit perfect was my hosts. I have to take time to brag about them. Chris & Melanie rock! They made their home my home. I was able to come and go as needed. I could rest or play with their adorable little son. The best part is I got to see them a lot. I will definitely miss having conversations with Mel that go from being very deep and serious to very funny and light-hearted. I love you Melanie!
One last stop on my way out of town…the perfect breakfast place with a very good friend. Then I had to drive away until next time.