06 November 2008

Conflict Management

I am a shark! Those of you that know me well have probably most definitely felt my bite. I am a shark that has learned skills in order to change my conflict management depending on the situation and the person I am relating to. It doesn’t matter what I do on the outside my heart processes conflict in the following ways:

  • I have a strong sense of right and wrong.
  • It is important for me to be right.
  • If my character is offended in anyway I will shut down.
  • I have a need to take charge and be in control.
  • It is important to be direct and get right to the point.
  • The closer you are to me the worse my bite.

Some of you might be surprised by this and disagree. The issue isn’t in what I do but what is going on inside of me in the midst of conflict. When I act differently in conflict than what I described above, it is because I have learned to change my conflict management based on the situation and the person. When I function from another style I am operating from my brain and not my heart. Thank goodness I’ve learned to do that. Please forgive me where I haven’t.