
Some of you may have seen this already, but if you haven't...
Do you see a young woman? old woman?
The truth is they are both there.
I showed this pictures to my class to start a discussion about how we can see things differently because of our experiences & backgrounds. It is ok to have a different opinion than your friend. My students come from very diverse backgrounds and I want them to engage in authentic conversation (as much as they can). The real life example I gave was concerning what a bride should wear. I asked them to raise their hand if they thought a bride should wear red? white? green?
Some of the students were hesitant to answer differently than their peers, but the reality here is all three are acceptable colors for a bride to wear depending on your religious and family background. For the older children I took it a step further...
What do you see?

For those in the West & for Jews, this is the Star of David. Put a circle around it and it quickly becomes a satanic symbol. Where I live it means unity (various interpretations of what is being brought together, i.e. man & God or man & woman, etc). That is how all my students answered the question...it was the symbol for unity. This symbol is also used by Freemasons and the Mormon Church. In my research, I even found a form of it in Islam. Symbols get their meaning from the people who see it & use it. The symbol in itself does not have meaning.

The Red Fort in Agra in the home of Akbar's Hindu wife.
A perfect example of this...
What do you see?
I see a Hindu symbol for well-being & prosperity. This symbol can be found throughout Eurasia. It is even in some Southwestern Native American Artwork. This symbol is even found in Christian artwork & in cathedrals. Many people have used this to symbolize many things. One man & his followers ruined it for the rest of the world.
Do you see a young woman? old woman?
The truth is they are both there.
I showed this pictures to my class to start a discussion about how we can see things differently because of our experiences & backgrounds. It is ok to have a different opinion than your friend. My students come from very diverse backgrounds and I want them to engage in authentic conversation (as much as they can). The real life example I gave was concerning what a bride should wear. I asked them to raise their hand if they thought a bride should wear red? white? green?
Some of the students were hesitant to answer differently than their peers, but the reality here is all three are acceptable colors for a bride to wear depending on your religious and family background. For the older children I took it a step further...
What do you see?

For those in the West & for Jews, this is the Star of David. Put a circle around it and it quickly becomes a satanic symbol. Where I live it means unity (various interpretations of what is being brought together, i.e. man & God or man & woman, etc). That is how all my students answered the question...it was the symbol for unity. This symbol is also used by Freemasons and the Mormon Church. In my research, I even found a form of it in Islam. Symbols get their meaning from the people who see it & use it. The symbol in itself does not have meaning.
The Red Fort in Agra in the home of Akbar's Hindu wife.
A perfect example of this...
What do you see?
I see a Hindu symbol for well-being & prosperity. This symbol can be found throughout Eurasia. It is even in some Southwestern Native American Artwork. This symbol is even found in Christian artwork & in cathedrals. Many people have used this to symbolize many things. One man & his followers ruined it for the rest of the world.