Today we are celebrating India's 63 years of independence. Especially compared to yesterday, Krishna's birthday, it has been a very quiet day. It seems that they celebrate independence in much the same way as they achieved it...peaceful.
I did learn the reason that I've seen so many kites this week has been because of Independence Day. The kite symbolizes independence and freedom. Today the sky was full of kites. It was a beautiful site. I did also learned that only boys fly kites here. I must say there is some irony in this fact and how it reflects the culture.
All the shops were closed. Only restaurants were open. Honestly, most of the nationals stayed in and enjoyed a day of rest. It was mainly the expats that were out and about.
Here are two links for you to read more information if the history of how India gained its independence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_independence_movement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(India)