12 March 2009

Dyshidrotic Dermatitis

Dyshidrotic Dermatitis is what I’m pretty sure I have developed on my feet and hands. It actually started back home in May. Yes, 10 months ago. My doctor thought it was a fungus infection but after four rounds of antibiotics, salt soaks, and a steroid anti-fungal cream nothing much has changed. I did some research and talked to my mom (who has a form of dermatitis) and have come to the conclusion that I have inherited this from her. My older sister has it and my mom’s older sister has it as well. It has to do with chemical reactions in our bodies.

Basically, I develop small blisters on my hands and feet. They itch really bad and spread quickly if I don’t pop them. I did find out that you are supposed to pop the blisters to keep it from spreading. It’s not contagious. The blisters are under the skin and make the area feel tender and sore. After the blisters are drained the skin dries, flakes, and then falls off.

It’s a chemical reaction. Various things irritate it. Most soaps, detergents or fragrances make it flare up. Cutting up acidic fruits or veggies and even raw meat can cause blisters to form. Exposure to nickel such as in money, computer keyboards, cocoa/chocolate, whole grains, and nuts can aggravate it. Changes in the seasons can either help clear it up or make it worse. Certain medicines (one which I take) can prolong it. As always stress is a factor.

Some people get it once and it goes away forever. Other people have it on and off for their entire life. It can get extreme enough to where one can’t use their hands or feet. So far I have a mild case and am going to the doctor to see what they suggest for treatment here.

Some treatments are simple creams and/or powders. Others are oral medications. For extreme cases they have UV Light therapy. The key is to keep your hands and feet dry and away from irritants. I might end up taking an allergy test. I’m hopeful that there will be something that will help me take care of my hands and feet and prevent infection.

If you are interested in more info, here are two websites I found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyshidrotic_dermatitis
http://www.skincarephysicians.com/eczemanet/dyshidrotic_dermatitis.html